Sunday, September 6, 2009

***Names changed to protect the innocent...

I met a student the other day at our school's sixth grade orientation. He was squirming around nervously as his homeroom teacher stood at the front of the room assigning locker combinations, so I sat down next to him and asked him his name.

"Bob," he answered.

The little girl wearing long braids sitting next to him said, "No it's not. His name is Peter***. He was in my class last year."

"No, my name is Bob. BOB! BOB! I'm not Peter, I'm Bob! Bob! Bob! BOB!"

Then he stopped crying out his pseudonym for a moment, stared at me and asked, "Are you a student?"

"Do I look like a student?"

"Yup. You do. He-he-he." Then "Bob" continued cackling and bouncing up and down in his seat like a wild man.

I found out later that day that "Bob" is on my class roster for this year.

Whoa, Nelly. I need a few more weeks of summer vacation.